The successful candidate will have a strong scientific and/or clinical background and be able to understand, interpret, and integrate information from diverse therapeutic areas in order to reach investment conclusions. It will also be critically important for candidates to understand business principles and market dynamics in the drug and medical device sectors. Specific activities will include preparing investment memos, financial modeling using Excel, working with consultants to perform scientific and financial due diligence, preparing PowerPoint presentations for both internal and external audiences, working with attorneys to draft term sheets and investment documents, analyzing data from various information vendors, and maintaining proprietary firm databases.
● Participate in and support the investment process from opportunity identification through due diligence and deal closing.
● Attend company management meetings and investment/medical conferences.
● Conduct company screens in various therapeutic areas using proprietary specialized databases.
● Build and maintain company financial models and detailed market models for products/diseases.
● Gather information using various data sources, including the Web, scientific literature and consultants to the firm.
● Assist in board-level management of portfolio companies; attend board meetings as an observer and work on projects to build portfolio company value.
● Prepare and maintain internal documentation on potential investments / portfolio companies, including investment memos and financial analyses.
● Create, update and maintain proprietary firm databases, including M&A and IPO statistics for the healthcare company universe.
● Assist in the preparation of investor presentations.
● Advanced degree in medicine or science (MD, PhD or job equivalent of same), an MBA (or on the job equivalent of same).
● Relevant work experience in an operating role (at a biotechnology or pharma company) and/or finance industry (minimum of 5 years of work experience preferred).
● 5 or more years of prior VC, investing experience or investment banking experience preferred.
● Impeccable integrity, work ethic and commitment.
● Ability to build network in the life sciences community.
● Strong financial modeling skills.
● Candidates should be team players who enjoy working in a non-hierarchical, collaborative firm culture.